Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Muddrops keep falling on my head


We are a bit north of Egypt, so perhaps the plagues are coming out of order.  That, or today was not arrival of the 9th plague of darkness, but rather just a prelude to the 2nd plague of frogs, the river (Tigris) having already turned 'red with blood' over the past several years.

"This is what the great LORD says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me. If you refuse to let them go, I will plague your whole country with frogs. The Nile will teem with frogs. They will come up into your palace and your bedroom and onto your bed, into the houses of your officials and on your people, and into your ovens and kneading troughs. The frogs will go up on you and your people and all your officials." 

That sounds about as scary as frogs can possibly sound, and I have yet to see amphibians, but this storm was unlike anything I have seen before in the States or elsewhere.  From the afternoon heat, an amorphorous orange haze arose without warning from the desert and occluded the sun.  Before this picture was taken, I was squinting behind sunglasses.  As it darkened, I started to take them off were it not for the gale which brought dust of that foreboding cloud slamming into all crevices and apetures, cornea included.  I cursed.  I cursed the military for bringing me here, this wasteland which is my current home, and then the gods.  Despite the curse, however, my wish for some accompanying rain to put down this thick air, was granted. 

This odd rain was not a refreshing sprinkle.  It was more like the splatter of water you might feel standing next to a puddle when a bus drives by you.

The rain actually came down in the form of mud - admixing with the fine cloud of airborne earth.  Though it may be hard to tell, this picture is a uniform decorated with mud drops.  Muddrops.  These muddrops showed up right after my shower.


No comments:

Post a Comment