Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Éirinn go brách!

Guinness really does taste better in Ireland.  I can attest to that.  For me, however, the Goodness was enhanced by the recognition that it would be my last beer, or last one with alcohol in it, at least, for 6 months.  I drank it slow in the lounge at Shannon International Airport on the way over to Babylon as my poor Army comrades cursed my name (Army allows no alcohol in uniform while traveling - not so in the USAF; what great parity!). 
To my great surprise, KBR actually stocks this place full of a variety of non-alcoholic beers, some of which don't taste so bad.  Though I am working out twice a day (see yesterday's post), I am still having a nightly beer or two with a plenty of courtesy carbohydrates, and hence maintaining my doughy mid-section (chicks dig it).  Tonight was a special occassion worthy of celebration.  There was an evil humor circulating that the command was going to allow one real beer to all active duty here.  Rumor, indeed.  We celebrated St. Paddy's our own way, however, with some near-beers and green food coloring - the only way I get to drink beer in the ICU, I guess.  There was even some contractor that they dressed up like a leprechaun.  My jovial staff cheered and laughed, but I excused myself to my melancholy rather than face a sober, politically correct leprechaun and beer without alcohol.  Apologies to the Irish, within and outside of my ancestry, for such bastardization.  Such is life in Babylon.

No comments:

Post a Comment